Friday, August 12, 2011

Private Charity works best: Fundraiser to help Oak Park single mother with lung cancer

PURCHASE AT THE LIBERTY STORE
By Rachel McGrath ON July 28th

On Sunday, Kim Liebe of Oak Park will celebrate her son Christian's fourth birthday, a day doctors told her she probably wouldn't be alive to see.

Liebe, a 36-year-old single mother, was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in 2010, which has just a 2 percent survival rate. She was given less than a year to live.

She says she's haunted by the thought that Christian might have to grow up without her and whether he would even remember her when he's older.

"If I didn't have my son I would have given up a long time ago," Liebe said. "He's my reason every day to get up every day, to stay positive, to stay strong.

"I am all he has. I want to be here with him and I want to raise my son. Who's going to love my son the way I love my son and who is going to take care of him the way I would? It's painful and I don't know what's going to happen."

On Sunday, she and Christian will be the guests of honor at a family festival and children's fashion show at Oak Canyon Park from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Liebe's good friend, Angela Marsden, a single mother who lives in west Los Angeles, has set up a nonprofit organization called Independent Seed and helped organize A Day In The Park For Kim's Cause, a fundraiser for Liebe. It is a group effort involving Marsden and other moms in the Oak Park community. FULL STORY




Featured Video: Let's all get on welfare

Related articles:







Also visit:

the Ron Paul Page





No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertise